Healthy Organization – Psychologically Healthy Work Places
Work environment is one of the main factors leading to teacher ‘disengagement’ and eventually to teachers leaving the profession.
The American Psychological Association has a practice organization, Psychologically Healthy Work Place. Their website is fascinating! Here is how they define a psychologically healthy work place.
A psychologically healthy workplace fosters employee health and well-being while enhancing organizational performance and productivity. This includes:
- Employee participation in decision-making
- Skills training and leadership development
- Opportunities for Career Advancement
- Flexible benefits plans
- Programs and policies that consider personal and family needs
- Easy access to mental health, substance abuse and Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Services
- Programs that promote healthy lifestyle and behavior choices
- Channels for open, two-way communication
- Mechanisms to evaluate employee job satisfaction
- Programs to prevent and manage workplace stress
- A priority placed on employee health and safety
- Recognition of individual and team performance
- Equitable compensation packages
We all know of some schools and other work places where this is the case. Wouldn’t it be a wonderful world if this were the case in all of our public schools? We would probably have happier staff and administration who stick around longer, students who are doing better in academics and in their lives as a whole……. wow.
Hey, I can dream, can’t I?